REGULAR BOARD MEETING
May 9, 2006
MINUTES FROM APRIL 11, 2006 REGULAR BOARD MEETING
Commissioner Schweers opened the meeting at 6:00 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance
Commissioner Akins, Commissioner Schweers and Commissioner Morris, were present. Commissioner Sassano and Commissioner Levy are absent.
Interim Operations Chief Bill Clemens introduced Firefighter Dan Hardman.
No public comments were made.
No items pulled for discussion.
Commissioner Akins made a motion to approve Consent Agenda items 1, 2, 3 & 4 as is. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried. ?trong>
Commissioner Schweers called for a motion to amend the order of the Administrative Agenda to allow for Administrative Item 2 to be first and precede Item 1. Commissioner Akins made a motion, seconded by Commissioner Morris, all were in favor, motion carried.
- RECEIVE PRESENTATION ON PROPOSED PLAN CHANGES FROM THE PENSION PLAN BOARD OF TRUSTEES. Bill Carr, Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Estero Firefighters Pension Plan, presented the proposed plan changes and provided explanation. After discussion and a recommendation by Charles Schoech, Commissioner Morris made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 2. Commissioner Akins seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- APPROVE THE MEDIATED SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT, DATED 3/17/06 BETWEEN HABITAT LAKES , LLC A FLORIDA LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY AND THE ESTERO FIRE RESCUE, F/K/A ESTERO FIRE RESCUE DISTRICT. Interim Fire Chief Jeff Lindsey, presented the mediated settlement agreement and provided explanation and information from the mediation hearing on March 17, 2006 . After questions and discussion, Commissioner Akins made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 1. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- AUTHORIZE ADMINISTRATIVE BUILDING DESIGN/BUILD CHANGE ORDER #3 AT THE COST OF $69,886. Interim Fire Chief Jeff Lindsey provided explanation and further information. Discussion took place regarding the costs and building design. After much discussion, Commissioner Akins made a motion to table Administrative Agenda Item 3. Commissioner Morris seconded, motion carried. Commissioner Akins proceeded to discuss her opinion regarding the Board�s responsibility and moving forward with the building. Commissioner Akins asked to see conceptual drawings, no finished plans at this time; some kind of preliminary plan that will allow the Board to look at and approve the administration building; to involve the Board in this process.
- APPROVE THE REVISED JOB DESCRIPTION FOR THE FIRE CHIEF OF ESTERO FIRE RESCUE . Commissioner Schweers presented and opened the item for questions and discussion. Commissioner Schweers recommended that the words �and a masters degree preferred� be added on page 3, Acceptable Experience and Training, line 3 following the words �bachelor�s degree�. After much discussion, Commissioner Akins made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 4 as presented. Commissioner Morris seconded, Commissioner Schweers opposed, motion carried by a vote of 2 to 1.
- APPROVE EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN ESTERO FIRE RESCUE AND JEFFREY T. LINDSEY FOR SERVICES AS THE FIRE CHIEF. Commissioner Schweers presented and opened the item for questions and discussion. After discussion regarding the salary, Commissioner Akins made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 5. After further discussion, Commissioner Akins withdrew her motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 5. Commissioner Akins recommended that under Section II Term of Employment that dates and length of term be amended so that it runs for approximately 3� years commencing April 12, 2006 to bring it in line with the contract being renewed in October each year to coincide with the fiscal year and the Board, after the initial 3� time period, the renewal of the contract has to come back to the Board and it has to be approved by the Board annually. Commissioner Morris made a motion to amend Section II Term of Employment and Section IV Compensation and Performance Evaluation of Employee to reflect changes as stated by Commissioner Akins. Commissioner Akins seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Discussion was held regarding Section XII Benefits, paid personal leave (PPL) and life insurance which is not included as part of the this agreement but will be discussed further at a later time. Commissioner Schweers called for a motion to add the words �56 hour� before chief officers in line one of Section XII Benefits. Commissioner Morris made a motion to approve the 56 hour language. Commissioner Akins seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Further discussion was held regarding term life insurance. Commissioner Akins made a motion that the district provide term life insurance in the amount of $250,000.00 for Chief Lindsey. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Schweers called for a motion to approve the agreement with the two amendments. Motion by Commissioner Akins, seconded by Commissioner Morris, all were in favor, motion carried.
No walk-on items were presented.
No public comments were made.
Commissioner Morris discussed his review of the construction costs for the Coconut Point Station and asked Charles Schoech to review his files regarding this issue and to verify information that had possibly been provided to him and relay his findings to the board.
Commissioner Akins addressed the resignation of Jim Clarke and asked the board to adopt a policy that any time a top personnel position is vacated that the board review the position description prior to employment of a new person. Top personnel position being those individuals who report directly to the Fire Chief. Commissioner Morris made a motion that when an employee who reports directly to the Fire Chief leaves employment, that the board review the position (job) description and make any changes that may be necessary to that description, prior to the hiring of a new person. Commissioner Akins seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- Receptionist position filled by Sara Murray and explained the changing of the job description.
- Currently reviewing/revising all job descriptions.
- Mark your calendars for May 13 from 10:00 a.m. � 2:00 p.m. at Station 2 is the Open House. Coincides with EMS Week which begins May 14.
- In an effort to keep the board informed, starting at the May board meeting, we will be adding to the beginning of the agenda a 5 minute overview presentation by staff followed by 5 minutes of question and answer for a total of 10 minutes. A monthly schedule has been created and in order to coincide with EMS Week in May, Interim Operations Chief Bill Clemens will present at the May board meeting.
- The monthly report for March includes YTD totals.
- Provided information regarding the Great March event held in Fort Myers and applauded the combined/unified efforts of the County, EFR personnel included.
- Jim Clarke�s resignation and appreciation for his contributions to EFR.
- Thank you to the board members for their support during the interim process and looking forward to the future as we work together.
Commissioner Morris made a motion to adjourn, Commissioner Akins seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.
GAYLE M. SASSANO, Secretary