BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
September 11, 2006
MINUTES FROM AUGUST 8, 2006 REGULAR BOARD MEETING
Commissioner Schweers opened the meeting at 6:06 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance
Commissioner Akins, Commissioner Levy, Commissioner Schweers, Commissioner Sassano and Commissioner Morris, were present.
EMS Chief Bill Clemens introduced Dr. Michelle Nathan as the Medical Director for Estero Fire Rescue.
Fire Marshal Mike Cato provided information to the board regarding the responsibilities of the Prevention Team, including community risk reduction, hydrant inspections, plan review on new construction, inspections on new and existing buildings, compliance and keeping up to date with statutes, rule and standards.
No public comments were made.
Commissioner Akins asked to pull Consent Agenda item 1; Commissioner Levy asked to pull Consent Agenda item 3; and Commissioner Sassano a?ked to pull Consent Agenda item 4.
Commissioner Levy made a motion to approve Consent Agenda items 2 and 5 as is. Commissioner Sassano seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Akins asked that the minutes from the July 18, 2006 Board Meeting be revised to include the approximate cost spent per year for EMS supplies by Estero Fire Rescue. Commissioner Akins made a motion to approve Consent Agenda item 1 with the addition of the $20,000 amount specified in EMS Chief Bill Clemens� report on Cost Recovery on page 3 of the July 2006 minutes. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Levy requested clarification for line 564 Vehicle Ops of the expenditures. Finance Director April White stated that she provides a breakdown for large expenditures from line 564 capital outlay. Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Consent Agenda item 3 as presented. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Sassano requested clarification of RP Club which is listed on the Breakdown of Donations for the Estero Community Safety, Education and Emergency Fund. Chief Lindsey clarified that it is Riverwoods Plantation. Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Consent Agenda item 4 as presented. Commissioner Akins seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- DECLARE 2000 COMPUTER AS SURPLUS AND AUTHORIZE EFR TO DONATE IT TO THE ESTERO KIWANIS CLUB. Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 1. Commissioner Levy seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- APPROVE THE BUDGET TRANSFER NECESSARY DUE TO UNANTICIPATED EXPENDITURES. Chief Lindsey and Finance Director provided an explanation as to unavoidable delays which carried over from the 2004-2005 fiscal year to the 2005-2006 fiscal year. Commissioner Morris made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 2. Commissioner Sassano seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Schweers moved ahead to Walk On Item 1 in order to provide the auditor Russ Baker the opportunity to leave upon completion of the walk on item.
- APPROVE THE FINAL INVOICE IN THE AMOUNT OF $4,500 FOR THE FY 2005 AUDIT. THIS AMOUNT INCLUDES AN ADDITIONAL $1,500 FOR UNANTICIPATED COSTS. The auditor Russ Baker provided an explanation for the additional $1,500 due to unexpected circumstances during the audit. Mr. Baker asked the Board for guidance on how they would similar issues handled on future audits. Mr. Baker commented that he was trying to be fair to EFR and his partners, but in order to maintain the relationship with EFR, he would write off the additional $1,500. After discussion, Commissioner Morris recommended to table Walk On item 1 until the September meeting in order to get a better breakdown of the expenditures. Commissioner Akins commented that any overage to the contracted price must be communicated to the Board as they occur, not after the final completion and approval of the audit. Commissioner Morris made a motion to table this item to the September meeting in order to get a better breakdown of the expenditures. Commissioner Levy seconded, all were in favor, motion carried. Commissioner Akins as Treasurer will meet with Mr. Baker for further clarification to report back to the Board.
- ADOPT POLICY ON PURCHASING. Chief Lindsey noted that Authorization Thresholds (e) on page 3 should read: e. $10,000 and above (Budgeted) and $5,000 and above (Unbudgeted) � Requires authorization by the Board. Chief Lindsey provided an explanation of emergency expenditures, such as vehicle maintenance or roof repairs. Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 3. Commissioner Levy seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- ADOPT THE POLICY FOR CREDIT CARDS AND POLICY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH F.S. CHAPTER 189. Chief Lindsey noted that the second sentence under Gasoline Credit Cards on page 2 should read: When possible, one of these cards should be used to refuel any EFR administrative vehicle. Finance Director April White distributes the cards; Chief Lindsey decides who is authorized. Commissioner Akins made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 4. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- ADOPT POLICY ON BUSINESS TRAVEL AND EXPENSES PER F.S. 112.061. Chief Lindsey provided a brief explanation. Commissioner Levy the staff for creating this policy and asked that EFR staff be prudent in authorizing travel and expenditures. Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 5. Commissioner Akins seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- REMOVE SOG 709 WRITTEN INVESTMENT POLICY AND ADOPT BY RESOLUTION AN ALTERNATIVE UNWRITTEN INVESTMENT POLICY. Finance Director April White provided a brief explanation and recommendations by the auditor to follow the Florida State statute which is more conservative. Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 6. Commissioner Levy seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- APPROVE THE PURCHASE OF A VEHICLE AT A COST NOT TO EXCEED $24,750.00. Chief Lindsey provided an explanation and more information as requested by Commissioner Morris at the July 2006 board meeting to support the purchase of the vehicle. Chief Lindsey provided information as to the number of take home vehicles and the tracking of mileage by way of station fuel logs. Other mileage on take home vehicles is tracked annually for a one month period. Mileage for out of area travel (i.e., in state conferences, training, etc.) is recorded on the employee�s travel log. Commissioner Levy suggested lowering the number of take home vehicles. Commissioner Morris asked for better tracking of mileage. After discussion, Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 7. Commissioner Morris seconded, a vote was taken, Commissioner Sassano, Commissioner Morris, Commissioner Akins and Commissioner Schweers were in favor, Commissioner Levy opposed. Motion carried by a vote of 4-1.
No public comments were made.
Commissioner Sassano commended the fire extinguisher demonstration at Pinewoods on Friday, August 4. Prevention and Station 4, C Shift did an excellent job. Chief Lindsey informed the Board that if they would like the same type of demonstration for their community to contact Public Education Manager, Susan Lindenmuth.
Commissioner Sassano commended and expressed her appreciation of the mowing of the field around the admin building.
Commissioner Levy asked the status of using the Estero Community Park and a new sound system. Chief Lindsey stated that we are on their list for the October meeting and the current sound system is being repaired at this. We are using a system tonight that we are interested in purchasing for future meetings.
Commissioner Morris asked if we provided fire extinguisher inspections. Fire Marshal Cato provided a brief explanation.
Commissioner Akins discussed the ECCL and a representative of EFR. Commissioner Akins made a motion to appoint Public Relations Manager Jane Hess as the representative to ECCL with Chief Lindsey as the alternate. Commissioner Levy seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Schweers commented that the next meeting is Monday, September 11 at 6:00 p.m. at the Red Base Annex at 8681 County Road . This will be the first public hearing to set the tentative millage rate and tentative budget for 2006-2007 as well as the regular meeting for September. At the first public hearing, the date, time and location will be set for the final public hearing. Commissioner Levy may not be available for the September meeting.
- Continuing to move forward with the planning process of the admin building and the increasing cost of copper.
- Diligently working on the budget and will be reviewing individually with the commissioners.
- Strategic focus have put together goals, objectives, assignments and a timeline of working towards getting more organized and focused on some of the things we are doing here to prepare for a full-blown Strategic Plan in the future which will require assistance from the commissioners and the community.
- July Monthly Report had been emailed to each of the commissioners and commented on the new section on utilities at each station.
- Chief Lindsey was to give a presentation on his trip to Russia in October 2006; however, it will be postponed to another meeting date due to technical difficulties.
Commissioner Akins made a motion to adjourn, Commissioner
Sassano seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 7:48 p.m.