BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
MINUTES FROM JUNE 20TH, 2006
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
Commissioner Schweers opened the meeting at 9:00 a.m. .
Pledge of Allegiance
Commissioner Akins, Commissioner Levy, Commissioner Schweers, Commissioner Sassano and Commissioner Morris, were present.
Chief Lindsey introduced Division Chief of Health, Safety & Training Rick Patrick.
Chief Lindsey recognized LuAnn Delo, Maria Ramos and Thad Stevens for their academic accomplishments.
Public Education Manager Susan Lindenmuth provided information to the board regarding public education opportunities that are available to the Estero community. PEM Lindenmuth discussed the current programs in place and the direction for future programs in the community.
No public comments were made.
No items pulled for discussion.
Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Consent Agenda items 1, 2 & 3 as is. Commissioner Levy seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- DECLARE 2000 COMPUTER AS SURPLUS AND AUTHORIZE EFR TO DONATE IT TO THE ESTERO KIWANIS CLUB. Chief Lindsey provided a brief explanation. Chief Lindsey confirmed that all sensitive information and data will be removed and/or destroyed prior to donating. Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 1. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- AUTHORIZE THE STATE TO MAKE APPLICATION FOR THE SAFER GRANT FOR 6 FIREFIGHTER POSITIONS. Chief Lindsey provided a brief explanation. After discussion, Chief Siegfried provided clarification to some of the commissioners� questions and comments. After further discussion, Commissioner Sassano made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 2. Commissioner Akins seconded. Commissioner Schweers called for a vote. Commissioners Akins, Sassano and Schweers were in favor. Commissioners Levy and Morris opposed. Motion carried by a vote of 3-2.
- ACCEPT THE PHYSICAL INVENTORY AS OF SEPTEMBER 30, 2005 . Chief Lindsey provided a brief explanation. Commissioner Levy made a motion to approve Administrative Agenda Item 3. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
- DISCUSS 175 PLAN FOR CHIEF OFFICERS AND GIVE DIRECTION TO THE FIRE CHIEF. Chief Lindsey provided information and asked for direction from the Board. Commissioner Levy asked for attorney Schoech�s legal opinion regarding 401k contributions, which is a defined contribution plan, that the assets of employee�s account, that being the monies provided by Estero Fire Rescue, the monies provided by the employee, if any, and if the dividend and interest of those accounts can all be rolled over into the 175 plan. Commissioner Levy also asked for Chief Lindsey to provide the specific figures/cost to the district to rollover the monies in order to bring the employee to where they are supposed to be and to obtain a signed waiver/authorization by the employee to rollover into the 175 plan. The board provided direction to Chief Lindsey; a motion is not necessary.
- AUTHORIZE MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL TO ESTERO CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IN THE AMOUNT OF $200.00 ANNUALLY. Chief Lindsey provided a brief explanation. Commissioner Akins commented on the FASD Annual Conference referencing Charles Schoech�s seminar regarding membership dues and Florida statutes. Attorney Schoech provided information pertaining to Chapter 119(3), stating that if public funds are expended by an agency, in the payment of dues or membership contributions for any person, all of the financial business and membership records of that entity are declared to be public record and subject to the provisions of 119.07. Due to the information provided by Attorney Schoech, Commissioner Akins made a motion to table Administrative Agenda Item 5 to the July meeting to allow our Finance Director to obtain appropriate information to support the request for payment of these dues. Commissioners Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Akins asked that this presentation by EMS Chief Bill Clemens be moved to the July Board Meeting due to time constraints. There was a consensus by the board.
No public comments were made.
Commissioner Morris inquired as to the status of Attorney Schoech�s review of the cost of the Coconut Point Station and the contracts. Attorney Schoech asked to discuss this with Commissioner Morris following the meeting. Commissioner Morris agreed.
Commissioner Akins commented on the FASD Annual Conference which she and Commissioner Sassano attended June 13-15. It was very educational and a learning experience.
- FASD Annual Conference 2007 will be at the Ritz in Naples , June 19-22
- Hurricane Xena Drill � provided the Estero Hazard Operation Guide (EHOG) to each of the commissioners
- National Stand Down June 21023, 2005 � concentrate on safety; emergency vehicle driving
- Revised Organizational Chart showing the restructuring of the organization
Those who will be present at the executive session will be Commissioner Barbara Akins, Commissioner Sam Levy, Commissioner Bob Morris, Commissioner Gayle Sassano and Commissioner Dick Schweers, Fire Chief Jeff Lindsey, Attorney Pete Sampo and the court reporter Mariann Sayers. The purpose of the executive session is only for discussing pending litigation, trial strategy and settlement.
Commissioner Sassano made a motion to recess prior to the executive session. Commissioner Morris seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Commissioner Akins made a motion to adjourn, Commissioner Sassano seconded, all were in favor, motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 11:25 a.m.